Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review - The Myriad by Supriya Kaur Dhaliwal




‘THE MYRIAD’ is a collection of some world class poems.

Genre: Anthology of Poems

‘THE MYRIAD’ is the first book by Miss. Supriya Kaur Dhaliwal. It is a collection of poems. In Supriya’s own words, “The Myriad is a book filled with aching realities of life, passion, and love.” 

Well, I was eagerly waiting for the signed copy from the young poetess, and I had huge expectations. Generally I reduce my expectations to ZERO, when I take up a book for the review. That helps me to judge the book without any biasing, and with extreme honesty. But I must admit that I had a very high expectation when I sat down to read Supriya’s book. And, due to this high expectation, I had a fear in my mind; Fear of feeling a letdown after reading her work. Supriya once said to me, when I was miffed with poor writing skills of some of the Indian authors – “If you want to read international standard book, read mine.” I loved her confidence at such an age, and since then I was eagerly awaiting her book.

Now, the review:-

In one line, Supriya’s ‘The Myriad’ lives up to my expectations. It’s truly world class.

The book is an anthology of 39 poems. It includes 4 poems which Supriya wrote when she was not even a teenager. The first poem in the book, ‘Animals’, was written by her when she was just seven years old. The poem may feel very simple, when you read it. But the poem has a depth, an innocence, and you wonder, how a girl, of such a tender age, can think so big!!

As you read further poems, which Supriya wrote as she grew up, you will notice the immense growth in her thought process, and her hold on the language.  There are poems based on pure love, various emotions, beautiful nature, family bonding, and some are based on thought-provoking topics like Global Warming. Each and every poem is very well written, and highlights Supriya’s strong hold on Literature.

I personally loved ‘Ammi’, ‘Alimony of Climate Change’, ‘Avenged Musk of Intrigue’, ‘Deception’, ‘Freelanced Forest’, ‘Knowing Nothing of It’, ‘Power of Hope’, and of course the first 4 poems.

On the flip side, a layman may find certain words too tough to understand. But then, these are poems, a true form a literature, and you are allowed to express your literary prowess.

In a nut shell, ‘THE MYRIAD’ is a compilation of 'international standard' poems. People of any age-group can read these poems, and relate to them. Literature lovers will definitely love this anthology. There is a power, yet an innocence, in Supriya's writing style. I am going with 4 out of 5 stars for Supriya Kaur Dhaliwal’s ‘THE MYRIAD’. [This is the 4th book, out of more than 25, which I have rated so highly.]

Verdict: A truly world class book. Take a bow, young poetess.  

The book can be ordered at : https://www.createspace.com/3704127

2 comments: